New York’s Frick museum is celebrating 75 years since its opening for the public. Henry Clay Frick, a steel magnate that wanted the entire public to have access to his art collection, established the museum in his very own house. Frick died in 1919, and his will contained his wish that the mansion on Fifth Avenue, together with his art collection and the other treasures there will be opened as a museum after the death of his wife, Adelaide. After she died in 1931, the house built in Beaux Arts style was expanded by architect John Russell Pope.
The museum finally opened after four years of renovation, and New York Herald Tribune published the news about its grand opening, a private party with 700 guests including the Rockefellers, the Melons and many other influential citizens of those times. The Frick has about 300,000 visitors every year, which have the opportunity to admire in “flesh and bones” famous paintings by Turner, Vermeer, Titian, Rembrandt, Velazquez, El Greco, Goya and Fragonard amongst other famous artists. Earlier this year the Frick museum launched a series of art conferences and a film about the founder is being aired three times an hour.