Top 10 Most Deadly Poisons In The World

Raluca Coman

Written by Raluca Coman
Posted in: Health
no comments

Do you like this story?


Everybody wants to know which are the most deadly poisons because they believe that if they recognize them they might escape getting poisoned.
But the truth is that the most dangerous poisons in the world are not always easily to spot, because it is not only the poison of the snakes that people should beware, it is also the poison coming from the chemical compounds that is very dangerous and deadly. In fact, this kind of poisons are the ones that everyone should beware. This list containing the most deadly poisons in the world is meant to give you a helping hand to protect yourself.

#10
Castor bean

Castor bean plant,  by its scientific name Ricinus communis, is the plant that produces castor oil, which has a wide variety of uses. Castor oil has a 40 to 60 percent concentration of triglycerides, mainly ricinolein, and the seeds contain a ricin, a toxin, which is also present in lower concentrations throughout the plant. The poison is so strong that the lethal dose in adults is considered to be 4 to 8 seeds, and it is considered the most poisonous plant in the world.

If castor bean seeds are ingested, their effects can start appearing after 4 or 5 hours, and the poisoned person experiences a burning sensation in mouth and throat, abdominal pain, purging and bloody diarrhea. After a few days the poisoned person becomes dehydrated and manifests a drop in blood pressure and a decrease in urine. If people which ingested poison do not go to the hospital and take medication to reverse the effect of the castor bean they might easily die from this type of poisoning. However, if the seeds ingested are not broken or chewed, people might easily escape their toxicity.

#9
Belladonna

Belladonna is also known by the name deadly nightshade and is common plant in Europe, North Africa, and Western Asia. Its leaves and its berries are extremely toxic and contain tropane alkaloids like scopolamine and hyoscyamine which cause hallucinations and delirium. Belladonna has been used for a long time as a medicine, cosmetic and poison, and at the beginning of the medicine it was used as an anesthetic. It I the berries of the belladonna that pose the greatest danger because they look attractive and have a somewhat sweet taste, but their consumption is deadly depending on the amount ingested (5 berries for children and 20 berries for adults).

When being poisoned with belladonna people experience dilated pupils, sensitivity to light, blurred vision, tachycardia, loss of balance, staggering, headache, rash, flushing, dry mouth and throat, slurred speech, urinary retention, constipation, confusion, hallucinations, delirium, and convulsions. The death of the poisoned people is caused by the fact that atropine, one of the active agents found in Belladonna, stops the nervous system from performing subconscious activities like sweating, breathing, and heart rate. The effects of this poisonous plant can be reversed by taking physostigmine or pilocarpine.

#8
Fiddleback Spider Venom

The Fiddleback Spider, also known as brown recluse spider or violin spider, is usually between 6–20 mm large, but may grow larger. It has a light to medium brown color, has three pairs of eyes and its abdomen is covered with bushy short hairs. This species of spider is not an aggressive one and they rarely bite unless they feel endangered, for example if they are pressed against the skin with a cloth or a towel.  Although the bite of this spider does not hurt a lot they can cause serious problems. Most of the bites are minor, and do not cause necrosis, but some of them do, and even fewer produce severe systemic symptoms (about 37 percent of the total bites result in necrosis and 14 in systemic illness).

There are two types of poisoning: cutaneous and systemic (viscerocutaneous). When both types of poisoning occur systemic effects may occur before necrosis, as the venom spreads throughout the body in minutes. The symptoms experienced by the poisoned individuals are nausea, vomiting, fever, rashes, and muscle and joint pain, but in extreme cases bites can result in organ damage, and even death. Most of the symptoms associated with the Fiddleback Spider bite are cutaneous symptoms, when the skin is destroyed by the bite and may take months to heal, leaving deep scars. First aid in case of a spider bite involves the application of an ice pack to control inflammation and urgent medical care. When going to the hospital the patient should take the spider too if he or she can capture it, so there is little time lost with the identification of the venom.

Did you like it? Share it!

Comments are closed.