Voodoo Session Leads To Huge Fire
Last weekend, a 64-year old woman died in a fire which was caused by the candles used in a voodoo session, according to the statement made by the police on Friday.
It seems that in the building on 29th Street in Brooklyn, a woman required the assistance of a voodoo priest to make bad spirits go away and bring good luck into her home. For that, the priest needed to light up some candles and start the session. During the voodoo ceremony the two of them had to have sex, apparently, and that was the time when the candles started the huge fire, or at least immediately after the intercourse.
According to statements, no one is likely to be charged with the incident, although forensic evidence shows that the fire was not started by accident. Furthermore, it seems that there were some dangerous circumstances that allowed the fire to spread in the entire building, killing the 64-year old woman who was living two stories up from the apartment in which the fire started. It seems that the candles ignited some bed sheets and clothes and the priest tried to put down the fire by dousing the flames with some sink water. Still, the action made the fire worse and as a response to the chocking smoke that was rising in the entire building; a neighbor opened a window and a door, in an attempt to clear his house, but that thing lead to the further extension of the fire, given that oxygen is known for its abilities to fuel fires. “Now, other doors on that fourth floor are also left open and the fire travels in those apartments,” spokesman James Long said. “That helps the fire grow.”
Moreover, given that the people in the building did not want to call 911, given that they thought they could put out the fire themselves, the firefighters from Engine Company 248 were highly delayed and thus, the situation became worse instead of getting better. What’s more is that the firefighters were also delayed by another emergency consisting of a police officer who accidentally shot himself in the leg.
In addition, the fire marshal put the pieces of the puzzle together and realized that the fire started from the voodoo ceremony, by examining the remains found in the apartment. According to them, the woman had paid $300 for the priest to make the bad spirits in her house go away and bring some good luck in. The statement of the woman and that of the priest coincide, and it seems that none of them will be charged for the fire.
The neighbor that died was a 64-year old woman known by her name Mary Feagin and she was a retired guidance counselor who only got caught in the blaze. Furthermore, it seems that more than 200 firefighters were needed to put out the blaze that burnt for more than 7 hours, while 20 people needed medical attendance and 50 people were left without a home after the terrible incident, the police said on Friday.11